Perform with an orchestra.
Develop a passion for music.
Start on a lifetime musical journey.
Learning to play an instrument is one only part of the Canzonetta Youth String Chamber Orchestra experience.
Discuss your goals. Share your questions. Learn about this extraordinary musical program in your community.
Talk with Canzonetta artistic directors Mrs. Schramm and Mr. Kagan at 847-328-0570.
Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our 2017-2018 Season
Free admission to all of our concerts.
Wilmette Park District Community Recreation Center Auditorium
3000 Glenview Road, Wilmette.
Tuesday, November 14, 2017
Tuesday, February 13, 2018
Tuesday, May 8, 2018
Orchestra Registration and Auditions
For information about orchestra selection and auditions contact Mrs. Schramm at
Considering which orchestra is right for you or have questions about auditioning?
Contact Mrs. Schramm at 847-328-0570.
For Students And Parents
- Learn new styles of music.
- Discover the joy of making music with others.
- Perform under the direction of a master conductor.
- In Canzonetta students receive personalized musical training, and learn ensemble skills in a small group dedicated to study, rehearsal and performance.
We invite you to contact us to learn if Canzonetta is right for you and your child at 847-328-0570 or email@example.com
- Canzonetta provides opportunities to play in small chamber groups.
- We teach excellence in technique and musical skill.
- We offer individualized instruction – where each student’s needs are recognized.
- Our students typically integrate the power of music as something valued and meaningful into their adult lives.
There is a unique atmosphere of togetherness and bonding among ensemble members enhanced through understanding their constantly fluctuating roles in the melodic, harmonic and rhythmic structure of the music.
Meet Directors Mr. Kagan and Mrs. Schramm
For 20 years, Mr. Hilel Kagan conducted Concertante di Chicago, called “one of the city’s gems” by the Chicago Sun Times. Now he brings that energy and excitement to its offspring — Canzonetta. Mrs. Helia Schramm is a masterful violinist and violin teacher. She has been concertmistress of the Civic Orchestra and first violinist of Arcturus String Quartet, performing many concerts in Chicago and throughout the Midwest.
“Kagan is not just a conductor but an engine thrumming with energy. He conducts from a tense crouch as if ready to spring, and his gestures seem to lavish attention on every bar. With an orchestra that reflects his style as this one does, the result is a treat to hear.”
– Chicago Tribune.
Path to Excellence
- Students discover what it means to play with other sections of young musicians.
- In some of the concerts, students may perform in trios.
- Concerts every 6 to 8 weeks.
- First and second violin, viola, cello and bass components.
- Students advance in the study of their instruments and learn the technique of following a conductor.
- Baroque and classical music, teaching bow techniques, intonation, musicality and style.
- Orchestra members may participate in small chamber groups — trios or quartets.
- A unique atmosphere of togetherness and bonding among ensemble members enhanced through understanding their constantly fluctuating roles in the melodic, harmonic and rhythmic structure of the music.
- More advanced students, depending on enrollment, may be placed in a smaller chamber music group where a repertoire of Baroque, classical and contemporary pieces with high demand for technical perfection, tonal refinement and phrasing will be explored.
Canzonetta provides an excellent working relationship and collaboration with private teachers, benefiting the students.
- We encourage input from private teachers in all areas from programming to placement of students.
- Canzonetta provides motivation for mastering the music, excellence in ensemble playing and musicianship— it gives students a reason for learning their instrument.